Title

Kick your shoes off and enjoy the ride of your life!

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Settling in...

For those of you who don't know, Abi and I moved to Des Moines, IA, on October 3rd, 2011. I have taken a job as a Medical Technologist at the VA Hospital here in Des Moines, and things are starting to get settled for us. We've upgraded housing a bit, going from a two-bedroom apartment of roughly 850 square feet to a two-bedroom townhouse at just over 1000 square feet. It's a very nice place, one major advantage being a utility room with laundry hookups, of which we took advantage within a week or so of moving to town. The first night here my dad and sister-in-law Susanna stayed with us to help rearrange things on our second day, and within a couple of weeks we hosted a friend of Abi's for a night as she was moving from Illinois to Idaho and we were pretty much on the way.

For about a week and a half, ending this past Thursday, I was under a very dark cloud, being quite grouchy and looking for everything about our situation that I could dislike. My attitude was very hurtful to Abi, especially since I was very closed off about the whole thing, but thankfully we were able to talk as we lay in bed Thursday night and a ray of light broke through. Yes, there are things about our situation that I find less than desirable, the commute to work being near the top of the list (it's hard to adjust to a 20-25 minute drive after living only 5 minutes from work). But there are a lot of good things about where we're at now, and the way we got to Des Moines was so undoubtedly God's leading that there must be some reason we're here. I still don't know exactly what that reason may be, but there's plenty of work to be done for His Kingdom, and my moping about doesn't do anything to further that cause.

We've attended Bethany Baptist Church here in town for the past three Sundays, and will be heading there again this morning. It is a smaller congregation, but the people are friendly, the preaching comes out of the Bible, the singing and music is wonderful, and it's very possible we've found our church home.

And with that, it's definitely time I got up, shaved, and got dressed. I've already been through my morning Bible reading and my daily perusal of the comics, and I've had a bite to eat, so I really have little left to do for the morning routine.

May you be blessed today as you serve the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment