Title

Kick your shoes off and enjoy the ride of your life!

Monday, January 16, 2012

A rough start to the year

It's been a trying couple of weeks, and now how I planned to start this year. It actually started the Monday before Thanksgiving. I started P90X again that evening. Since I had stopped working out in late August, I'd put back on the weight I'd lost, and was pretty unhappy with it. While doing push-ups as part of the routine, I felt a little tweaky in my right knee and figured I'd just overdid it.

For the next month I had a little bit of trouble walking properly. My right leg wouldn't straighten quite right, but I thought it would work itself out. It was also painful to roll over in bed. Finally, the week after Christmas, my leg was bothering me enough that I decided to go to the chiropractor. I had x-rays taken as part of the initial evaluation. My right hip was 1/4 - 1/2 inch higher than my left, and my lower back was kinda messed up; from the side, the typical curve wasn't visible, but form the front the lumbar spine curved to the right just above the sacrum before curing more or less back to the center where it belonged. I got adjusted Wednesday and Thursday after Christmas, and Monday and Tuesday after New Year's. I was feeling better, which was great.

Unfortunately, Thursday after New Year's I woke up in terrible pain, unable to stand upright or walk very well. I went to the chiropractor twice that day and twice Friday. The chiropractor didn't want to do it, but she suggested I go to urgent care for some muscle relaxants and pain relievers. I can't say for sure that they really did much. A big frustration is that when I go for my adjustments, I have difficulty getting down on my stomach; it causes a fair amount of pain in my leg.

Sleeping is still difficult as I have trouble finding a comfortable position...at least, one that lasts for more than a few seconds. Exhaustion does usually take over, but I wake up several times during the night.

The good news is that I am recovering, though slowly. I'm hoping that the recovery continues so I can start working out again. Of course, I'll be starting out slowly. But this video helped put some things in perspective: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V0PPJaw I need to make lifestyle changes. This is another cool video, showing how much progress a guy made in 136 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1RYK_lybxA&feature=related. I like the idea of taking a picture each day...it'd be neat to put together a similar time-lapse video.

Hope you all are having a good day. God bless! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment